What's new

Welcome!

EXP when catching

Lipezin

Reaction score
We all know catching is the most exciting moment of the game, no feelings are better than that green light, imagine that with a good amount of exp haha.
Basically, what I am suggesting is, a system that gives you a amount of exp when you catch a pokemon for the first time, of course as hard the catching is more exp you get, it would be a incentive to make projects and to catch different pokes, making people stay logged in for hours to do that. It could be a small window on the screen showing the pokemon and the amount of exp you got for catching it.
For example:

Congratulations for catching Psyduck for the first time, you got 5.000 exp points.

Thanks for your time.

Last edited:

Arcanist Karl

Reaction score
Imagine reaching catch 600 and receiving a catch booster. :unsure:
For 650 and maybe some extras tasks, we can get some special things, like a mythical poke or a master ball... could be nice.:oops:

Don't get me as a hater, but you are always motivated by the game to catch pokemons: rod tasks, achievements, quest requirement, etc. You even get experience only by dex'ing it. For example, we have an achievement that gives 300 sport balls for free when we dex 700 pokemons, yet, lots of people still lack this simple achievement. Mega stones, mythical pokes, exp, cash, items, cards, a frigging master ball, do I need to say more?

Also on Alola, where the catch is directly linked to the dex entry, it happens exactly like this: catch+dex = exp, and we still don't see people rushing after those catches.

Such addition would only consume efforts to implement a system that people who gave up on catching complain about, people who play only for catching complain about, and people who actually level up, already think it is too easy, especially when it comes to a point where we lack content for higher levels, so overboosting experience will mean nothing on the long run. I still prefer that staff uses the energy to improve many other systems, or bring brand new features to fill some gaps. Yeah, I know it is just a suggestion, but let's remember that there are way more topics that need attention before fixing something that it is not broken.

Using your example, let's say that a good pokemon gives around 20k experience. You can do it in what? 3 minutes of hunting? Doing a 3-minute daily task in Azalea? Way easier and faster than throwing 2~3k balls on a Gengar, for example.

Trust me, there are already people who stay logged in for hours with catching purposes, people who threw 20, 30, 40k balls on a 4 minute spawning pokemon, and the experience wouldn't add to the reason. More examples? Achievements for kanto main type pokemons, amount of pokemons, amount of certain type pokemons. Achievements with regular rewards. Yet, the catch average in game is around 400? 450?

There are enough incentive for people to catch, but some people are just lazy to do so.

Lipezin

Reaction score
I do understand your point, but you are meaning only high level players, we cannot forget the game is composed from low levels as well, many of them can’t stay logged in more than 1 or 2 hours, it means they cannot “level up easy” as you said, of course any high level can do much exp in minutes, but tell me about those guys who can’t play long, they are still part of the game, they still donating and making the game still alive… so, those ones will be more benefited than anyone in regard of my suggestion, so if you look the whole situation that will be more good than bad.

Arcanist Karl

Reaction score
I do understand your point, but you are meaning only high level players, we cannot forget the game is composed from low levels as well, many of them can’t stay logged in more than 1 or 2 hours, it means they cannot “level up easy” as you said, of course any high level can do much exp in minutes, but tell me about those guys who can’t play long, they are still part of the game, they still donating and making the game still alive… so, those ones will be more benefited than anyone in regard of my suggestion, so if you look the whole situation that will be more good than bad.
Im not talking about high levels. I was mentioning the overall situation.
Your entire point was based on "if we add exp to catches, people will want to stay logged for more hours". Now you point that people can't stay logged in for more than 1 or 2 hours. If they can't be logged in for more than such "small" time, don't expect them to be catching everything they see, so it would also not change that much even for low levels.
it would be a incentive to make projects and to catch different pokes, making people stay logged in for hours to do that.

If they can start to be online for hours after the possibility of adding exp for a pokemon, this means that the 2 hours range you mentioned was limited only by laziness, not rl commitments.

Again, to the facts:
To make something noteworthy to balance catching with regular exp'ing on a respawn, the amount of exp given by catching would need to be extremely broken, because again, remember that game is not made only of Oddishes and Caterpies. Taking an example of only ONE respawn for catch, I've personally spent 3.7k ubs to catch a Beldum, 3.2k ubs to catch a Metang and 1.8k ubs to catch a Riolu. Do you really think a low level can afford those balls without exp'ing anywhere else? Do you think that playing for at maximum 2 hours/day the person will be able to make this under a week? So again, my point is: the experience given after all this time hunting is "useless", as any regular low lvl player can make way more experience by hunting on Malie Ghosts, Yellow Hall, or Desert Quest. You would be surprised on how much experience people can do on such spawns in 2 hours (been leveling some low level chars myself to test it and believe me, it's solid with low requirement of pokes, even cheaper than spending starting cash with ultra balls).

As a summary:
1. It is easier for those people who wants to level up by playing 2 hours maximum to actually hunt on a good spot instead catching.
2. If someone wants to play for catch (having extra exp or not), they will have to face the fact that playing 2 hours a day may not result in catches for the most of the times, therefore, not resulting on extra experience.
3. if they can't be online for more than 2 hours for now, they won't be able to be online for more than 2 hours if they add extra experience.
4. There's no reason to rely on that to make a solid player base.

It would be way more positive for balancing the experience and the gameplay pleasure for low levels if they improve/add more spawns and loots. For example, covering the exp gap between lvl 100 and 130 with some new options. And for high levels, nothing changes at all.

Lipezin

Reaction score
I really do not understand why are you neglecting another source of exp that can randomly make people happy haha and about those balls you threw in beldum, riolu, that’s high level stuff, low level who plays less hour has to rely in luck sometimes, even me for example, I caught a feebas with around 200 balls. Even playing less hours. If someone can afford 1 ball this person has 1 chance, that’s how I see it.

Mr Forasteiro

Reaction score
I agree with Karl.
And I also don't see the logic in adding extra exp to the catch since the exp you gain by trying to catch is much higher than the supposed additional exp. So this exp will be irrelevant since when the catch arrives, you will probably not even be fixed on the respawn. Note: you start leveling up and start changing from respawn to respawn. Many times you have to go back to low level respawn just to catch Pokemon XY, the exp will be almost nothing.

and please, let them finish the professions... I'm sure this will bring more players than simply 10k exp per catch.

Arcanist Karl

Reaction score
I really do not understand why are you neglecting another source of exp that can randomly make people happy haha and about those balls you threw in beldum, riolu, that’s high level stuff, low level who plays less hour has to rely in luck sometimes, even me for example, I caught a feebas with around 200 balls. Even playing less hours. If someone can afford 1 ball this person has 1 chance, that’s how I see it.
Beldum/Metang/Riolu a high-level stuff? I could end my entire point here.
I just named them because I regularly see newcomers going to that kind of "hyped pokes" spawns (yeah, lucario and metagross are a success for those who watched the anime).
If I wanted to give examples of fails, I could name lots of them, like Houndoom with 5.7k ub, regular Toise with 6.2k ub, regular Zard with 20k + balls, but that wasn't the point at all.
I also had my luck shots, i.e., Aero with 7 rb, but when it comes to the AVERAGE i can't use this as an example for suggestions (what makes people play is the average number of actions, not the lucky or bad luck shots). I can safely say that for most of pokemon, 2 hours in the spawn aren't enough to catch. And if in the perfect world this was true, we have for now around 750 unique spawnable pokes to catch, this would represent 750 days (a little more than 2 years) to catch each one of those to get an insignificant amount of exp (that, as forasteiro said, can be made by trying the catch itself).

If people were really happy about having extra experience when catching, you would see more people eagerly trying to catch Alolan Pokes, which actually gives you exp by catching, and this is not true. They go after those pokes because of achievements, requirements (like cells and tapus accesses), etc.

I'm not neglecting "sources of exp that can randomly make people happy", im stating the fact that there are other ways to make the people happy and improve gameplay overall, as forasteiro said, for example, the professions. Have you thought about the time staff and involved people would have to think about almost 800 pokemons base experience that will be given by catching them? Even if they do it by "tiers", this would still be sooooo time/effort consuming. The lack of "rewards" is not why people don't go after catches.

And trust me, people get way more "randomly happy" having more spawns with good exp/lootable tms/good items and constantly dropping them during hunting than getting the first catch exp.

demzpacito

Reaction score
ur idea is not necessarily bad, u just have ur priorities messed up. this game is not about lvling up otherwise staff wouldnt be struggling to get people to respawns and implementing new stuff such as daily task revamp. the kinda effort it would take to come up with a well balanced table of xp that could work between useless xp vs broken xp is not worth to spend right now nor in the near future. ive always played for catch and i can assure u i wouldnt be any more thrilled to try and catch a new poke due to getting xp from it, even if i were a low lvl

Back