Welcome!

Kingdra

Status
Not open for further replies.

NandoCruise

Reaction score
Hello PA Staff!

I want to propose improving Kingdra.

Its move-set is good except for Octazooka. I propose to change this move for Hydropump (as it was a time ago).

Here is why: Kingdra is to be considered a great Pokemon, since its dual type Water/Dragon gives normal damage against Electric and Ice types. However, I have seen that in-game almost no one likes it. In fact everyone is selling their Kingdras, since it is not good enough to hunt Fire/Ground/Rock because its water moves are not so strong; and it is not good enough to hunt Dragons, because of the same.
I don't personally mind about hunting Dragon-types, but I do mind about hunting Fire/Ground/Rock.

ALSO, I was looking in Bulbapedia and Octazooka is a move that Kingdra can ONLY learn by breeding (meaning: mating a Horsea/Seadra/Kingdra with an Octillery). However, Brine and Hydropump are moves Kingdra can learn by leveling up so I believe it makes perfect sense that it should have one of this two moves.

I was trying these moves in the Test Room and Hydropump seems to be the best move, followed by Brine and Oktazooka (these 2 moves have almost the same damage).

Kingdra Test.jpg

As you can see, the comparison between these 3 moves give Hydropump the best damage, with only 300 ~ 400 more hp.
In addition, I tried Twister and Dragon hammer and both moves aren't as powerful Dragon-moves as Dragon Storm/Draco Meteor/ Outrage. With that said, I believe changing Octazooka for Hydropump won't overpower Kingdra.

With this change, Kingdra can be fairly improved and also one can teach him Rain Dance/Reflect, making it a strong pokemon.

I really like this pokemon and I believe this change would be a big difference for Kingdra.

Thanks in advance !

Last edited:

ElQloLoko

Reaction score
I think Octazooka it's better than Brine xD could suggest something else cause a change like that would nerf kingdra

NandoCruise

Reaction score
that the move brine is worst than octazooka

Octa gives more dmg ... this is a nerf on pokemon

You are wrong. But, as a matter of fact, I am wrong as well.

I invite you to go to Test room and try BOTH attacks. Then you will see how a 130 Kingdra deals almost the same damage with Oktazooka than with Brine.

The only difference is that for Octazooka, sometimes pokemons move and for some strange reason the move fails to hit. This doesn't happen with Brine.
But comparing all 3 moves, Hydropump is like 300 ~ 400 more damage, which is not a big difference so it would be good to consider to change to Hydropump. I will edit my post xD

I invite you to see the following picture:

Kingdra Test.jpg

Isablue

Reaction score
You are wrong. But, as a matter of fact, I am wrong as well.

I invite you to go to Test room and try BOTH attacks. Then you will see how a 130 Kingdra deals almost the same damage with Oktazooka than with Brine.

The only difference is that for Octazooka, sometimes pokemons move and for some strange reason the move fails to hit. This doesn't happen with Brine.
But comparing all 3 moves, Hydropump is like 300 ~ 400 more damage, which is not a big difference so it would be good to consider to change to Hydropump. I will edit my post xD

I invite you to see the following picture:

View attachment 9095

As Raissa has said before, every pokemon needs attacks with a certain strategy to deal more damage. If your abilities for moving while executing octazooka aren't the best, just practice, or be a lazy person and wait for the movement to hit or not, just like me

NandoCruise

Reaction score
As Raissa has said before, every pokemon needs attacks with a certain strategy to deal more damage. If your abilities for moving while executing octazooka aren't the best, just practice, or be a lazy person and wait for the movement to hit or not, just like me

This is not about being lazy or being "agile" when moving a pokemon. When you lvl up a pokemon in POI, for instance, where there are LOTS of pokemons, you will eventually be surrounded by them. When you use moves like Octazooka or Magical Leaf, and pokes are running like crazy all over the place because you are already surrounded by 8 pokes, there is this weird thing that the move sometimes doesn't hit the pokes.

But again, as I said, it's not about learning how to use a pokemon, this is about a great pokemon not being great and making its moveset a bit more alike to anime/pokemon game.

Clair's Kingdra:
Kingdra's known moves are Twister, Hydro Pump, Agility, Swift, and Hyper Beam. (From bulbapedia website, https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Clair#Kingdra )

Christopher's Kingdra:
Kingdra's known moves are Twister, Water Gun, Hydro Pump, and Smokescreen. (From bulbapedia website, https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Christopher_(EP216) )

If you compare the damage of Kingdra's expansive attacks, they are not so strong.

Last edited:

huberto

Reaction score
I'm sorry to say it but you can forget about Hydropump in Kingdra's moveset. Kingdra is very common pokemon and most common TM for it, is Hydropump. There are probably dozens or maybe even hundreds of Kingdras with this attack learned by TM so moving it now to moveset would dozens or hundreds TM's being restricted and possible to extract.

NandoCruise

Reaction score
Honestly I don’t know how that works (if a Kingdra has already TM Hydropump).
I have myself a Kingdra with Hydropump, however I don’t care losing. Of course I cannot speak for everyone but I am sure most people would love to have Hydropump on Moveset so they can teach Rain Dance and Reflect.

ElQloLoko

Reaction score
I think that the general idea of this it's to improve Kingdra water side.
Agree about that, and Hydropump but it might be not possible; there are too many Kingdras with Hydropump as Tm, so would be very hard to switch it just for a Rebalance.
Would be cool in Kingdra to swith Waterball for Dragon Pulse, Dragon Hammer for Brine and Dragon Pulse (Passive) for Agility, cause put Hydropump in it's moveset seems low probably.

Zelricks

Reaction score
We dont plan to make any change in kingdra
and we dont see a reason of changing octazooka to brine (which is already a tm) just because you cannot hit everything around properly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back