What's new

Welcome!

Metin's Idea of Movepools

Metin

Reaction score
Hey there. Today i came up with an idea: Pokemons caught (only newly caught pokemons, not the ones we have currently for the reasons i will explain) will get randomly assigned moves according to the pokemon's individual moveset. Any ideas or criticism regarding to my suggestion is appreciated, but please read my post carefully, and reason your message as I will do to my suggestion.

Rules of the idea

-Each pokemon will have a individual movepool consisting many moves. Pokemon who are rarer and supposedly stronger will have stronger moves in their movepool, and will still be stronger overall. For example, a Flygon will be stronger than a Nidoqueen in any cases. Also, let's not forget there are other important variables such as Speed and HP.)

Movepool example:

Charmander

Normal Moves: Scratch Slash Growl Smokescreen Scary Face Rage

Fire Moves: Ember Fire Fang Fireball Fire Bolt Flamethrower Overheat Inferno

Dragon Moves: Dragon Rage

I'm almost hearing you saying: "Dude WTF is inferno on charmander?" Well, keep reading and you might get your answer.

-Each pokemon will have a hidden power rating, which will be decided by staff and possibly positively correlated with catch rate and/or rarity (Example: All charmanders are 7/100, all Infernapes are 84/100). This rating will affect how strong a pokemon's moves will be. A pokemon with higher power rating is a lot more likely to get tier 2 and tier 3 moves, see below. A pokemon with lower rating can also get moves from higher tiers, albeit rarely. It would be like, continuing my example, in 1 in 1500 or so a Charmander( a pokemon with low power rating) would get a tier 3 move (Inferno). These moves will persist through evolutions.

-Each pokemon will have a set of decided "skeleton". Example:

Charmander

1 Single Target Normal
2 Single Target Fire
1 Single Target Random
1 Self Buff (Only case is Rage)
1 AoE Fire

-Abilities will be divided into tiers (power levels of the abilities. rarer pokemon will include more spells from higher tiers) and genre (single target damage, aoe damage , aoe stun, aoe buff, etc.) These details will not be visible in game, most likely this should be explained on website. The pokemon will roll a move from a tier, matching respective Pokemon type (ex. Grass, Ice, Fighting etc...)

An example: Lets say there are 3 tiers, 1 being the weakest and 3 being the strongest.Our pokemon is rolling an AoE- genre Earth spell.Depending our pokemon's power rating, our pokemon can get these: Earthshock would be a tier 1 aoe dmg spell, Earthquake would be tier 2 and Epicenter would be a tier 3 aoe dmg spell.

-Signature abilities, self-heals and aoe heals, aoe buffs (excludes weather effects), protections, abilities with pokemon-exclusive animations (like rollout) and reflective abilities will not be included in tiers, and pokemons with those moves will receive them always. Along with retained moves from pre-evolution, these moves will not be shown as ???.(For example, Cacturne will always have Spiky Shield, Miltank will always have Milk Drink, Glalie will always have Protection, etc..)

-Current pokemons in the world will not get new skills and remain in a balanced state, thus not hurting the game economy.(Buying Moveset Reset from the premium store is still an option for these pokemons.)

-Pokemons' moveset will not be revealed until they are first released from the ball, same time as they get their ability assigned. (thus letting players sell a freshly caught or received pokemon for not a decreased amount, if they prefer not to release it.)

-Pokemon's skills will appear as ??? until they come to a level which they will unlock the skill.(see notes)

-Movepools will be shown on Pokedex entries for each Pokemon.

-An item called Moveset Reset, similar to Ability Reset, will be introduced and will allow players who want to change their pokemon's moveset for once. This item also allows all pokemons to have a new moveset, so players who want to change their old pokemon's default movesets will have an option to do so.

-Pokemons evolving will retain their moveset if the moves are included in the evolved pokemon's movepool. Not included moves will be replaced by new moves.

Positive sides of the idea - Why should this be implemented?

-High diversity overall, and especially on PvP.

-Gives an edge to players who train their pokemons from low level, since they are guaranteed to keep their pokemon's movesets (only the skills which are in the evolution's movepool, similar to how abilities work) upon evolution. This system serves the same purpose with EV's and IV's in Pokemon games, you need to find the correct pokemon and train it from low levels.

-Players will be encouraged to catch lots of pokemons, even pokemons they have right now, thus bringing lots of activity to Padventures.

-Moveset Reset sales will contribute to Padventures economically.

-Think of Moxie. It was overpowered (before it was nerfed), but brought some pokemons back into game, right? This will have a similar effect without fucking up people's game experience, and without being OP.

Negative sides of the idea

-Can be hard to code and implement.

-May cause community backlash.

Notes and other ideas

-Trying to use a TM on a pokemon which has the respective TM in moveset but not yet unlocked the skill (thus appearing as ???), will pop up an error message. (This is not a smart thing to do anyways, since if a smart fellow doesn't know the pokemon's complete moveset, he wouldn't want to use a TM on it.)

-Skills with stuns won't be rolled more than a x amount when a moveset will be determined, so Pokemon will retain balance.

-Shift-clicking the pokeball will give a list for the current unlocked skills, allowing easier trade.

----

-I will try to improve the idea if I get a positive response from staff. If a negative response is present, you can lock the thread altogether.

karksiukas

Reaction score
I don't know if I would be for or against this because:
1) It would totally change the game mechanics
2) It would need VERY much balancing and would need A VERY LONG TIME to come to perfection (Which is currently impossible due to already many plans put ahead)

medz

Banned user
Reaction score
I find this a really interesting idea actually. But definetly would take a lot of time and effort to do so and I think there are other priorities

It indeed change game mechanics and might unbalance some pokes but so what? I dont think thats a problem at all to have some stronger pokes (I suppose rocks will be thrown at me cause of this comment but whatever haha)

The only thing I didnt agree at first is that you only get to see which move you got when you reach the respective level.. Aint nobody got time for lvling a poke to find out it wont be useful

KaCtoos

Reaction score
Well, It's just my opinion, but actually, I think that:
  1. That kind of system would change basic game mechanic, so it is some kind of changing server character.
  2. List of moves seen by shift-clicking on ball would be pretty sloppy and unreadable. Screen in games loooks like a mess with just 5-6 rows of the text. It won't really help in trading.
  3. Pokemon moveset filled to a pre-set scheme would make it boring, while every pokemon had same amount of stuns, AoEs etc. Of course, most of Pokemons are made or rebalanced with some plan, but sometimes Pokemon can get more AoE due to don't have protection moves etc.
  4. Trading with such system would be really annoying. Some of players don't even know how to check item properly while trading, so they won't know what they are buying. Also, there are some Pokemon that are not catchable yet, so they will stay with their movesets, it is gonna be pretty sad if such Pokemon would be worse than some common Pokemon of a lucky guy (who gets extremely great moveset).
  5. In this game always rare Pokemon could be made as the best and overpowered ones, but they are not, to don't make a situation when everybody fight with same Pokemon and same moveset (rich players would buy only the best moves, pool of them won't be any obstacle for them), so idea when rare=better is pretty without sense.
  6. Don't you think that changing game on a such scale is kinda late idea, when server already stands how it was 6 years ago without such changes?
  7. Making Pokemon and Moves Tiers would be really bad, there are some Moves that can be so powerful with others, and I you have to be really optimistic if you think, that when Staff gonna make such tiers there won't be massive of complains about their made someone's FAVOURITE POKEMON as a weaker one and there will be so many arguments like "HE WAS OP ON GBA MAKE IT BETTER" etc.
  8. Most of players are still catching Pokemon that they got, for sell. I don't think it will change anything in this point so I disagree with this argument about adding such system.

New Dawn

Banned user
Reaction score
Awesome!

Very good idea. There is no hard coding, just coding. A united comunity can do wonders... :)

New Dawn

Banned user
Reaction score
Would be nice to choose your pokemon's moveset. Catch with a random 5 moves, as the pokemon reaches the level for a new move, you get to choose between some options.

Ex: Charmander reached level 70, choose a new move to be learned: Inferno, Lava Plume, Etc...

Bakarus

Reaction score
  1. Don't you think that changing game on a such scale is kinda late idea, when server already stands how it was 6 years ago without such changes?

I'm sorry to say KaCtoos, but this question here and this mentality is why things don't improve and only lead to a downward spiral of failure, in no circumstance is improvements or change ever discredited no matter if this game was 20 years old.

As for your post Metin, i do believe you're smart and you do come up with some great ideas, but i would disagree with the complexity of this idea only because it would create too much community backlash especially when it comes to trading, but diversity is something that this game desperately needs, so a basic idea of the same concept would be good, maybe something like random stats/Pokemon tiers?

Last edited:
Back