What's new

Welcome!

About: Fear, Roar and Growl.

Obreviate

Reaction score
Well on these three attacks I can see the same effect, but do not understand the difference.
I was analyzing, thinking and decided to post here.
I asked the help of two friends. What has pokemons that have these three Abilities.

First. ( Fear of Gengar )

View attachment 3258

In this image, we see that all the animals near gengar is affected by fear.
Attack used without having selected, any pokemon.
But indifferent when it gengar "scares" him scares in general. And not just one. Their faces and mouths scare in general.

Second. ( Growl of Togetic )

View attachment 3259

Now is where the questions begin.
When used the ability growl, just a pokemon is affected. And is only affected when selected.
And the same is for Roar which I'll post below.
And that's where I do not understand. What is the difference? Between Fear, Growl and Roar?
Imagine a group of children at a party, suddenly a ferocious dog appears and begins to growl. Only one child runs away? Or all?
The meaning of the word "growl" is in the general idea, not individually.
And the same is for Gyarados.

Third. ( Roar of Gyarados )

View attachment 3260

Now imagine, Ash and his friends on a beautiful beach with their pokemons and suddenly a Gyarados appears. And starts to "scream" ROAAAARRR. Pikachu only takes a scare? and Bulbasaur? and Squirtle?and the others?

I just think that's a logical question.
The same would be if Ash and his friends were in a forest and a group of gengar appeared to scare them. Just Ash scare? Or everyone else.

As I always say: It's just an idea.

Thank you.
Stin stauer and Tenacioussd .

Last edited:

Sheeper

Reaction score
I think they wanted to don't make three exactly same skills, but im not sure,they can rename it, but i have no idea for new skill names. Anyway i think it will be better if it remain as it is now
Sry, if u can understand my english :p

danixx

Reaction score
Fucking facepalm, cant you understand that its a name of the attack for idiot's sake?

Read some bulbapedia and study pokemonology if you are so interested in it.

Agar

Banned user
Reaction score
actually growl, should not have that effect

Obreviate

Reaction score
Fucking facepalm, cant you understand that its a name of the attack for idiot's sake?

I'm just passing an idea.
You do not need to say anything here.

Janjos

Reaction score

That isn't the way to give your opinions, If you dont have anything usefull to this post then you aren't welcome. That kind of verbal texting only bring problems...

Btw, Is logical what you say Obre.

danixx

Reaction score
That isn't the way to give your opinions, If you dont have anything usefull to this post then you aren't welcome. That kind of verbal texting only bring problems...

Btw, Is logical what you say Obre.

All 3 of the attacks/conditions/de-buffs (w/e you wanna call em) are supposed to scare off their foes, simple as that.

Janjos

Reaction score
All 3 of the attacks/conditions/de-buffs (w/e you wanna call em) are supposed to scare off their foes, simple as that.

This post or opinion is better than the other one, dont you think? That way to talk is too agresive and always brings problems... We can avoid that problematic comments and be a better community. Just Saying.

Brand

Reaction score
Isn't Growl just an attack debuff? And doesn't Roar force a withdrawal?

Maritos

Honorary Members
Reaction score
They were supposed to be different moves but are basically the same. Dunno what can be done

Obreviate

Reaction score
I understand. Just a logic reflection.

Thx's Janjos, for his advocacy on the topic.

Last edited:

papuchi

Reaction score
yeah is a cool thread. Maybe this 3 atacks must cause "panic" in all pokemons in a certain distance...like 1 square or 2 arround the pokemon who uses it

Yuujin

Reaction score
It's fine as it is, it would be stupid if all three of them had the same effect.
And Growl should be an ability that lowers the pokemons around yours to have lowered attack or defence.
If I'd change "Roar" then it could be some kind of "Stun" that leaves the surroundings pokemon stunned for 1-2 sec, if not then it's just fine as it is right now.

Back