What's new

Welcome!

Swampert

Robertos

Reaction score
Hello, as many of you know, Swampert is my favourite pokemon, and I feel it is a little underwhelming, specially when you notice it "forgets" moves upon evolving.

First lets look ar Marshtomp's current moveset:

m1 - Bubbles - Level 40 - 10s cooldown
m2 - Mud Shot - Level 40 - 10s cooldown
m3 - Water Gun - Level 40 - 10s cooldown
m4 - Bubblebeam - Level 40 - 15s cooldown
m5 - Hydro Cannon - Level 40 - 20s cooldown
m6 - Whirlpool - Level 44 - 25s cooldown
m7 - Mud Bomb - Level 48 - 20s cooldown
m8 - Mud Sport - Level 52 - 15s cooldown

Now, this is Swampert's current moveset:

m1 - Mud Slap - Level 80 - 10s cooldown
m2 - Mud Bomb - Level 80 - 30s cooldown
m3 - Muddy Water - Level 80 - 30s cooldown
m4 - Aqua Blast - Level 80 - 20s cooldown
m5 - Hydro Cannon - Level 80 - 20s cooldown
m6 - Bubblebeam - Level 82 - 15s cooldown
m7 - Mud - Level 80 - 15s cooldown
m8 - Protection - Level 83 - 50s cooldown
m9 - Whirlpool - Level 85 - 30s cooldown
m10 - Earthquake - Level 90 - 45s cooldown

As you'll be able to tell, upon evolving (if you evolve Marshtomp at level 80) it forgets how to use Bubblebeam (learns it again at level 82) and Whirlpool (learns it again at level 85).

This is my suggested moveset for Swampert:

m6 - Bubblebeam - Level 80 - 15s cooldown
m7 - Mud - Level 82 - 15s cooldown
m9 - Earthquake - Level 85 - 45s cooldown
m10 - Rain Dance - Level 90 - 50s cooldown

1°.- Decreasing the use level for Bubblebeam to level 80 so it doesn't forget it uppon evolving.
2°.- Increasing the use level for Mud to level 82 so it stays balanced in regards to it's learning curve.
3°.- Decreasing the use level for Earthquake to level 85 as it will no longer be it's bigger area/most powerful move.
4°.- Learning Rain Dance at level 90 instead of re-learning Whirlpool at level 85.

Change 4° would be a major change, considering you'll have to change it's TM learnset:
1) Add a restriction: It should only be able to learn one big area move between blizzard and epicenter.
2) Add a new learnable TM: Whirlpool. (Or keeping it as a passive if it's not too OP)

With Rain Dance in it's moveset, you could even give it Swift Swim as a new ability (or at least just to Mega Swampert) helping it to be more PVP oriented while still being really good in PVM. It also goes really well with it's main game role as a rain sweeper.

Another change would be to give it a passive skill, as many other pokemon have, notably Sceptile and Blaziken (the other Hoenn starters) aswell as Gastrodon (another powerfull Water/Ground type).
If you think it could also get a passive skill I'd suggets:

For more water offensive pressure:
Aqua Tail, Whirlpool, Waterfall (not sure if it's still in game), Bubblebeam (same as Mega Swampert but would need another change in moveset, probably swaping Aqua Tail as a normal skill and Bubblebeam as a passive skill would be the most balanced)

For more ground offensive pressure:
Earthshock, Bulldoze (would have to remove TM Bulldoze from it's learnset), Crusher Stomp

For offensive coverage:
Ice Punch (not sure if it's still in game), Ice Ball, Powder Snow (doesn't learnt it in the main games), Rock Throw, Rock Slide, Iron Tail, Hammer Arm

For defensive capabilities:
Wide Guard (not sure if it's still in game)

In general, for a passive skill, if the move set was to be the suggested one, a targeted low dammage pasive skill like Aqua Tail, Rock Throw or Rockslide; or a small area move like Whirlpool or Earthshock would make the most sense, although a defense raising passive skill like Wide Guard would also be viable. Other move could be too strong but that would have to be further tested.

This is my suggested moveset for Swampert (including a passive skill):

P - Rock Throw - ??? - ???
m9 - Earthquake - Level 85 - 45s cooldown
m10 - Rain Dance - Level 90 - 50s cooldown

To finish it up, I didn't want to discuss how this changes would impact Mega Swampert, because I believe mega forms should be a topic/thread of their own. Balancing base forms first can give a solid starting point to balance mega evolutions.

ninjakaban

Reaction score
Just let him possibility to learn TM Brick Break (Sceptile can learn it but Swampert no and Swampert is Pokemon who always often used to play hammer arm and brick break since I discovered this Pokémon in kindergarten I’ve known only one thing “he is shown as brick breaking Pokémon all the time”)

Raissa

Administrator
Reaction score
Giving it Rain Dance is not possible. We usualy move TM to moveset if there aren't too many players who added it to their pokemons, but that's not the case.

Robertos

Reaction score
Couldn't you just give the message that the tm (rain dance) needs to be removed before using any moves (as with restricted tms) with extrancting npc?

Tsotss

Reaction score
Couldn't you just give the message that the tm (rain dance) needs to be removed before using any moves (as with restricted tms) with extrancting npc?

What Raissa wanted to say in my opinion is fact that many players gave to Swampert Rain Dance as a TM and could be too many Rain Dance in one time, by pulling it back.

Raissa

Administrator
Reaction score

No, I think you didn't understand. We use to do this, when there aren't many pokemons with certain TMs. But in this case there are too many and we don't really want to break market with spam of rain dances, that would cause its price to fall down a lot and we don't really want it.

Tsotss

Reaction score
What about Hydro Vortex instead of Rain Dance? For Whirpool? The same reason which Robertos mentioned.

Raissa

Administrator
Reaction score
What about Hydro Vortex instead of Rain Dance? For Whirpool? The same reason which Robertos mentioned.

No, I think we removed it from pokemons because it's Z-move.
We could eventually use Water Tornado.

who learns:
01:09 Cloned Vaporeon, Halloween Vaporeon, Vaporeon

Tsotss

Reaction score
No, I think we removed it from pokemons because it's Z-move.
We could eventually use Water Tornado.

who learns:
01:09 Cloned Vaporeon, Halloween Vaporeon, Vaporeon

Seems good for me.

Tuca Strike

Reaction score
today I see swampert as more water than ground (while probably should be the opposite), and I also think it deserves some kind of boost... maybe add one ground passive (or hammer arm, rock slide) and/or improve one rank in some ground and/or water moves...

Kappa Prince

Reaction score
I really like idea of water tornado insted of whirpool, but as someone said, swampert should be more ground than water so my bet is for example whirpool/muudy watter to magnitude/fissure. If you dont think as me, water tornado is good for me tho.

Robertos

Reaction score
This is my suggested moveset for Swampert (including a passive skill):

P - Rock Slide - ??? - ???
m2 - Quicksand - Level 80 - 30s cooldown
m9 - Water Tornado - Level 90 - 45s cooldown
m10 - Earthquake - Level 90 - 45s cooldown

Syntek

Banned user
Reaction score
There is a pattern with "initial pokemons" and the pattern is that ol' pokes like Blastoise, Typhlosion, Feraligatr, Venasaur, Blaziken, Swampert doesn't matter if they are weak in comparison to Sceptile, Charizard, even lol, Meganium they won't get a buff. I'll explain, Sceptile has False Swipe + Protection + Pursuit. Charizard has a counter move that is Seismic Toss, and Meganium with counter move, Earthquake.

And is not because for example Swampert can't learn a counter move on Bulbapedia, of course it can, aswell Feraligatr learning Mud Sport and so.

So, following this pattern I am going to add 2 moveset, not just 1. First is the bored and moveset according to the pattern and second, is the good looking one.

Also, one thing that would help Swampert alot is to buff Mud damage to 1.6k each hit. Right now is dealing 1.2k.

66r4Gki.png

I can expect comments like wait, so you want to add Ice Ball + chance to learn Blizzard/Icebreaker???? are you nuts omg!!

There are grass pokes that doesn't have weak against ice. Ludicolo, Ferrothorn, Kartana, Abomasnow, so come on, that is not a valid reason, at least for me.

Thanks for reading.
Sincerly, Garkstal.

Back