What's new

Welcome!

Proposal on Abilities

Metin

Reaction score
Hello people! After two years and two months, I’m back with another list of proposed changes to abilities. I tried to explain each change with clarity as to why I’m offering a change in the first place. Brace yourself for a long list that consists of both new abilities and changed old abilities. Let’s start with new abilities I adapted from console games and Pokedex entries.

New Abilities

Anger Point >
When the HP of the user drops below 20%, it deals 10% more damage and gets 15% increased movement speed.

Notes: Similar to Blaze/Overgrow/Torrent/Swarm but arguably weaker. You can compare it to Drampa’s Berserk to see it’s not op, as it gets 15% damage below 50% HP.

-

Anticipation, Forewarn > Halves the damage of the first super effective attack received. Happens once in a duel. Outside of duel, this has a %15 chance of happening without cooldown.

Notes: Halves the damage of entire move: for example, each tick of rain dance.

-

Defiant > The user blocks the first stun received (not the damage part) and deals 10% more damage for 5 seconds. Happens once in a duel, %20 chance of happening outside of duels without cooldown.

Notes: -

-

Run Away > The user blocks the first stun received (not the damage part) and gets 25% increased movement speed for 5 seconds. Happens once in a duel, %20 chance of happening outside of duels without cooldown.

-

Analytic > Every third move of this pokemon deals 15% extra damage.

Notes: Activates on the third, sixth and ninth ability and so on, not first. Should increase overall dmg by about 5% so it is not powerful as it seems. Non-damaging moves are also counted.

-

Shadow Tag, Suction Cups> Every 6 seconds, pulls the foe closer to the user by 2 tiles. The foe cannot use the move Baton Pass. This ability only works during duels.

Reason for change (Suction Cups): Suction Cups is the closest thing thematically to Shadow Tag, and it also sucks in its current state because it is an ability that is solely based on one move Hold Back (which isn’t problematic or meta defining: old ability is “Protects the user from the fear status condition, user is immune to the Hold back move”). Shadow Tag is not really popular and it would look silly in some pokemons that the PA staff would deem appropriate for this ability, so I propose Suction Cups to be the same with Shadow Tag.

Notes: This is so that people can check Baton Passers. If you think that pulling the foe closer by 2 tiles each 6 seconds is silly, you can remove that part of the ability.

-

Pressure> Foe cannot use moves or abilities that grant it extra moves.

Notes: This is meant to counter False Swipers. It also blocks the likes of Prankster, Skill Swap and others which I don’t remember right now. This ability usually belongs to legendaries in games, but I suggest it to be added to generic rare pokemons as well.

-

Flare Boost > After being burned, user deals 10% more damage for 6 seconds. The user burns itself after using a Fire-type attack. Happens once in duel.

Notes: An interesting ability similar to Guts, weaker in the sense that it only activates when burned, but also stronger because the user can trigger it when wanted, given it has a fire-type move, be it a normal move or a TM.

-

Heavy Metal> The user is immune to getting displaced, cannot be lifted into air and takes 5% less damage.

Notes: Displacing moves are like Mean Look (still takes damage), and the other is like Seismic Toss (move fails entirely against the user). The damage reduction part is there to not make the ability very situational because most of the pokemon lack both these types of moves.

-

Light Metal> The user takes 10% less damage from Fire, Fighting and Ground moves.

Notes: 10% reduction to only three types do not seem that much at first, however when you consider these types being the only weaknesses of Steel type, you realize it is better than it sounds. (think of Scizor)

-

Huge Power> 30% chance that a single target non-stunning move will deal 1.5x damage and paralyze the opponent for 1 seconds. Happens once in a duel, happens outside of duel without cooldown.

-

Pure Power> User deals 20% increased damage with contact moves.

-

Illuminate> 25% chance to block a dark or ghost-type move and apply 1 second of fear status condition to the attacker. Happens once in a duel, happens outside of duel without cooldown.

Notes: Blocks the entire move: for example, each tick of Snarl.

-

Stakeout> User's first move after release from pokeball will deal 1.5x damage.

Notes: I know this seems kinda weak, but you can choose a big damage move and amplify it even further, so I think it’s alright.

-

Sturdy> At 1HP, the user enters a mini protection that lasts for 2 seconds long.

Notes: My original idea was a mini endure but the ability Battery already does that for some reason.

-

Sheer Force> User deals 10% increased damage but can never apply status effects.

Notes: No stuns, burns, freezes etc. seems like a fair tradeoff for 10% damage.

-

Skill Link> 20% chance to repeat a damaging move cast by the user for half the original damage. Happens only once in duel, outside of duel it doesn't have a cooldown.

Notes: This is offtopic but I think this ability is really cool.

-

Magic Bounce> 25% chance that the user completely blocks a single target damaging move and recasts it for a quarter the original damage on the opponent. Happens once in duel. This ability has no effect outside of duels.

Notes: The recast move does not exhaust the user (does not prevent you from casting a move right afterwards). I thought about making it half the original damage, but there are lots of single target abilities which stun, and too much damage and a free stun seemed overpowered, so I made it a quarter only.

-

Unaware> All status conditions received by this pokemon are converted into 1 second of paralysis instead.

-

Unburden> After using 8 moves, the user gets %30 increased movement speed for 6 seconds.

Notes: This was originally a berry related ability with similar effect, but I honestly think that berry related abilities are not good at all, therefore I adapted it into an ability triggered by the use of moves.

-

Proximity Abilities™

Iron Barbs> Foe loses 175 HP in Steel-type damage every second when in close proximity to the user (1 tile)

Rough Skin> Foe loses 175 HP in Normal-type damage every second when in close proximity to the user (1 tile)

Prickly Thorns>
Foe loses 175 HP in Grass-type damage every second when in close proximity to the user (1 tile)

Rock Head>
Foe loses 175 HP in Rock-type damage every second when in close proximity to the user (1 tile)

Flame Body> Foe loses 175 HP in Fire-type damage every second when in close proximity to the user (1 tile)

Ice Body> Foe loses 175 HP in Ice-type damage every second when in close proximity to the user (1 tile)

Poison Point> Foe loses 175 HP in Poison-type damage every second when in close proximity to the user (1 tile)

Clarification on how these abilities work:

These proximity-type abilities activate for 10 seconds after the user receives damage or uses a move, and end after that (to avoid unnecessary load on the server). They do not have any cooldown. They also don’t necessarily have animation (to avoid clutter). If you are still confused, they are like really weak, constant and invisible Rollouts that are always active during the period you battle. My proposed damage formula is (userlevel+45), capping out at 175 damage per second at level 130. I think this damage should be subject to resistances and weaknesses.

Reasons for change

Ice Body: Since most pokemons with ability to freeze the opponent are ice pokemons, and nobody uses ice pokemons against ice pokemons, this ability was mostly useless.

Flame Body, Poison Point: Very useless & underpowered abilities because the user is almost always the corresponding type and would have applied these status effects anyways without any need to respective abilities.

Changes on Existing Abilities

Guts> After being affected by poison, freeze or burn status conditions the user will have increased damage by 10% during the next 6 seconds.

Reason for change: In games, burn status condition halves attack but guts actually negates that. In PA it doesn’t halve the attack so it should still grant the buff. To balance this, I lowered the duration from 8 seconds to 6 seconds. (Old ability did not grant damage increase with burn)

-

Moxie>

Version 1-> After defeating a pokemon, user gains 2% increase in damage until saved to pokeball. Maximum 130% bonus damage. In duel, this ability grants 10% increase in damage per defeated pokemon.

Version 2 -> After defeating a pokemon, user gains 10% increase in damage until saved to pokeball. Maximum 130% bonus damage.

Reason for change: I tweaked the increase in damage per pokemon for two reasons. The first reason is that it was already irrelevant in any place near a body of water, as you could just spam magikarps and get the maximum bonus in less than three minutes. The second reason is, this ability did next to nothing in duels, which made it uniquely a pvm only ability. I’m not saying that is a bad thing as there are duel only abilities too, but I tried to balance my suggestions around duels mainly, so it would be kind of weird to not touch this ability.

-

Hustle> This pokemon deals 15% more damage but has a 10% chance to hit itself too for 1/4th of the damage it would normally deal.

Reason for change: It was just a bad version of Sniper. Think about it, with a total of 2 TM's you only have a mere 20% chance of utilizing this ability anyways assuming you aren't using a spammy move like Aqua Jet, so the user essentially doesn’t have an ability in 4 of 5 duels. Not to mention that it is totally useless if you don't have any TM's, and thematically unfitting in its current state. (Old Ability: 10% that a TM will cause 30% extra damage.)

Notes: The new version is similar to reckless. I initially thought about the pokemon stunning itself with a small chance but that would suck so I went with the self-damage. In games this ability increases attack by a lot but decreases accuracy, and there was no proper way of implementing accuracy stat into PA so… The move still hits the enemy when this 5% happens. Outside duels, the damage done to itself is calculated against a single pokemon so that you don't kill yourself with a big aoe move.

-

Intimidate>
Upon release from pokeball, the user applies fear status condition to the foes nearby with an instant Imprison formula. In duel, this ability applies fear status condition to the enemy regardless of its distance and type. Outside of duel, this ability doesn't recast itself and has a 3-minute cooldown.

Reason for change: It was too similar to other abilities and thematically unfitting. Now it actually intimidates enemies.

Notes: It would be cool if the pokemon also displayed Scary Face animation upon release. It is meant to give the pokemon with Intimidate the first move in duels, and also save your ass in a pinch when you find yourself overwhelmed in let’s say raids. A slow can be coupled with the fear status condition to prevent the pokemons from getting too far away. It does not recast itself like Drought or Drizzle, because that would interrupt hunting.

-

Weak Armor> When above 50% HP, the user receives 10% less damage. When below 50% HP, the user loses this damage reduction but gets 10% increased movement speed.

Reason for change: In games this ability lowered defense and buffed your speed after you took damage, and I adapted that.

-

Magic Guard> The user takes no reflected damage and is immune to damage over time caused by status conditions.

Reason for change: Damage over time by status conditions are trivial in most cases, so I think this ability was underwhelming. (Old Ability: Prevents damage over time caused by status conditions.) (Pokedex description of this ability in games: The Pokémon only takes damage from attacks.)

Notes: This does not bypass reflect. It just prevents the reflected damage on user. User still can’t damage a pokemon that has used reflect until the duration ends.

-

Steadfast> For each 15% HP lost, the user gains %5 increased movement speed.

Reason for change: Old Steadfast is just a bad version of Speed Boost. Also, the dex description is: “The Pokémon’s determination boosts the Speed stat each time the Pokémon flinches”, which is I think more relevant with the new version.

Notes: Caps at 30% increased movement speed at 10% HP. If the user heals back up somehow, the gained movement speed is lost.

That's about it for abilities. I have two more irrelevant suggestions that I won't bother opening threads about so I might as well squeeze them here:

Quick Suggestion 1:

Raid Changes:

-Guaranteed raids take place each hour, so I propose an increased frequency. Raids are fun and harmless.

-Raid pokemon cannot damage players below a certain level like 70 or so, and in turn players below that level cannot damage or interact with raid pokemon. This way, the swarm of pokemons from raid will not rampage on newer players. This level can be adjusted to the difficulty of each raid.

-Raid pokemon disappear after 10 minutes unless they are not killed, to avoid clutter.

-Raids take place mostly in emptier cities. (another noob-proof change)

Extra note: For the love of god, decrease the chances of cat raid happening OR add alolan Persian, delcatty, purugly, incineroar, etc. to the raid too. Maybe for each raid there also spawns the rare Shinx-Luxray family or Espurr-Meowstic, only a few of them of course. I hate getting hyped for a raid but seeing Meowth /Persian only 

Quick Suggestion 2:

-Add the command /aggressive, which makes every nearby pokemon attack you by themselves. Sometimes, clicking individual Bellosoms and Sunfloras can be tiring.

Thank you for reading until here, let me know what you think about the thread in the comments.:confused:

Receptor

Reaction score
so the reason of the changes is "let's change them because they suck"?

Back