What's new

Welcome!

Nepu™ Ampharos Rebalance

Nepugia

Reaction score
Nepu™ Ampharos Rebalance

240px-181Ampharos.png

Ampharos is a lovely pokemon, and a favorite for a lot of people (hi inko), but deep down we all know its moveset is not that good, having a lot of conflicts in general with what it's useful for.

For that, I have this rebalance suggestion, which would give a real identity to Ampharos and its Shiny version

Ampharos' main problems are his lack of covering moves, having too many electric moves, Growl isn't useful for him outside of using it with electro blast, and like I said before, he lacks a real identity.

By now most of us know his moveset:

fGGzXEE.png

To fix ampharos' problems my solutions would be:

For normal ampharos:

P-Electricity : His normal, everyday passive.
-
1-Iron Tail : Replacement for Tail Whip, normal weak target move, my reason for it is that Mega Ampharos has it, and it's on Ampharos' learnset in the games, so it would fit to give it to the Ampharos family for consistency.
-
2-Power Gem : Ampharos has always had Power Gem in its moveset as his "main" (and only) coverage move, keeping it means keeping Ampharos' identity.
-
3-Thunder Wave : Replacement for Volt Switch, small area move that paralyzes, this move is why i removed thunder from the moveset, would help in duels as a way to damage and slow the opponent without getting too close, also requiring some skill for positioning yourself to aim it
-
4-Electro Ball : A much needed replacement for Zap Cannon, which is objectively one of the worst of Ampharos' moves, they do around the same amount of damage, and i don't think there's too many people that like Zap Cannon at all, not just on Ampharos (Water Gun rework happened for a reason, i figure)
-
5-Charge : A good target move that has good damage, it's in Ampharos' original moveset, there isn't much reason to change it on normal Ampharos
-
6-Thunderbolt : Same as above
-
7-Confuse Ray : Growl's replacement, ghost type single target stun. In tandem with his new moveset, an area stun isn't strongly needed as other parts of his (would be) new kit complement themselves.
-
8-Parabolic Charge : Thunder's replacement, weak area move, since ampharos already has a slow in Thunder Wave, parabolic charge serves as a filler for it, it has a bigger range and does roughly the same amount of damage.
-
9-Ion Deluge : Electro Blast's replacement, as Electro Blast doesn't really match the theme of this moveset, i replaced it with a big area move with a different(and way better) formula that would help Ampharos a lot with leveling, and in duels, Ion Deluge does the same amount of damage as Electro blast, and has 3 hits max too.

OTTFeQI.png

10-Discharge : Ampharos' most characteristic area move, helps with its identity aside from being really good and essential.

-----------------

Its TM learnset wouldn't change much with this moveset, as it would change from

this:
YqaXhh5.png
to this:
MpTrOHa.png

Of course, adding Electro Blast as a possible TM to learn (if possible)

Now moving on to our favorite green sheep-thing

gtl9gp2.png

Shiny Ampharos!

My idea for his moveset would be:

Note: For the moves that are shared between normal and shiny versions, they are already explained above.

P-Electricity : ""
-
1-Iron Tail : ""
-
2-Power Gem : ""
-
3-Thunder Wave : ""
-
4-Electro Ball : ""
-
5-After You (Shiny Move) : Replaces Charge, in my opinion this is one of the moves that has the most potential out of all. Allows your pokemon to use your opponent's last move (including heals), this allows for skillful turnarounds in duels, and allows for diversity and active interaction while leveling, this move combined with cotton guard make Shiny Ampharos not need Electro Barrier. Electro Barrier felt weird on Shiny Ampharos because it was a less useful than Reflect, and felt like it didn't fit at all with Ampharos' identity again. (this move is also not buggy or gimmicky like Me First and you're able to use it on wild pokemon as well as inside duels) edit: This move can also be used after another pokemon uses False Swipe, unlike other moves that don't work with that (Me first, Skill Swap)
-
6-Cotton Guard (Shiny Move) : Replaces Thunderbolt, this move allows shiny ampharos to mitigate some damage without needing a full protection, this combined with After You makes for a skillful moveset for the player to grow accustomed to, and would be easy to use, and hard to master. (Like Shiny Ludi's)
-
7-Ice Punch (Shiny Move) : Confuse Ray's replacement, Ampharos' much needed coverage move, this is the most important piece of Shiny Ampharos' new kit, as the removal of two of his target moves are traded for this target ice-type stun to cover his extreme disadvantages against ground-type Pokemon.
-
8-Parabolic Charge : ""
-
9-Ion Deluge : ""
-
10-Discharge : ""

His TM learnset would be:

kZLJOfV.png

As the image says, as Electro Barrier would be removed, it would mean Shiny Ampharos is now able to learn Reflect again, as all the other members of the Ampharos family are also able to learn reflect (Normal Ampharos, Mega Ampharos)

EDIT: Shiny Ampharos learning reflect would also mean that when it Mega Evolves, it won't have any conflicts with TMs, because Mega Ampharos can learn reflect and Shiny Ampharos (at the moment) can't

---

Disclaimer: All the moves i suggested are based off of Ampharos' Learnset in the Pokemon games, and i respected all of the rules established in the "Introduction to Rebalance Section" Thread.

Sources:

XUppQ9H.png

https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Ampharos_(Pokémon)

http://www.padventures.org/forum/showthread.php?41716-Introduction-to-Rebalance-Section

ji31fqutql0y.png

Thanks a lot for the read if you stuck until the end, I hope my efforts to try to rebalance one of everyone's favorite pokemons will be considered!

Last edited:

Caxoxd1

Reaction score
I hope that this electric poke improve, is the weakest electric poke at the moment.

On the shiny, I think It's a good idea to replace the electro barrier for something interesting like after you and cotton guard at the same time, these moves would be a good replacement in the absence of electro barrier, anyway in the future the electro barrier would have to be removed because mega ampharos learn reflect and it would be illogical if shiny ampharos can mega evolve.
It is also a good idea to add ice punch on it because this coverage move is going to help for ground / grass pokes.

Well, I would like to take this thread to suggest an improvement to Mega Ampharos because it is weak like its other versions so far, my changes to Mega Ampharos would be the following:

As it doesnt have passives , and the shiny and the normal have one, my idea would be cotton guard on passive, a passive that reduces damage is always fine I think that this passive is really perfect on this Mega, this passive will make it more interesting on pvp.

Replace iron tail with fire punch, ¿why this change? because now in pvp nobody uses a poke that is only fairy, players usually choose klefki (fairy / steel) and besides this move would be fine against pokes grass too.

See interesting changes on all ampharos versions would be great. :D

Nepugia

Reaction score
As it doesnt have passives , and the shiny and the normal have one, my idea would be cotton guard on passive, a passive that reduces damage is always fine I think that this passive is really perfect on this Mega, this passive will make it more interesting on pvp.

Replace iron tail with fire punch, ¿why this change? because now in pvp nobody uses a poke that is only fairy, players usually choose klefki (fairy / steel) and besides this move would be fine against pokes grass too.

Fire Punch on Mega Ampharos would help against Ice pokemon too, which is another weakness it has, it would also help against Steel pokemon since they resist Dragon, and would help against steel/fairy types too.

As for Cotton Guard as a passive for Mega Ampharos, it would make sense, and even more if this move is given to Shiny Ampharos, that way the Ampharos Family has more similarities.

Nepugia

Reaction score
Fire Punch on Mega Ampharos would help against Ice pokemon too, which is another weakness it has, it would also help against Steel pokemon since they resist Dragon, and would help against steel/fairy types too.

I forgot to mention, as I said in my post, Iron Tail should be a characteristic move of the Ampharos family, and as so, i think replacing another move for Fire Punch would be best, that way it covers both weaknesses (with iron tail + fire punch)

Back