What's new

Welcome!

My Ability Rebalance Suggestions

Metin

Reaction score
Metin's Ability Rebalance Suggestions

With the recent addition of abilites, some pokemons received significant buffs while some others were rendered kind of useless. This also changed a lot in pokemon market, for example, while we probably wouldn't be able to find a Mightyena less than 4 ish k, we can see mightyenas with Quick Feet hovering around 1-2k now. Sure, pokemons with useless abilities are just like how they used to do before pre-abilities patch in PvE. The real reason I wanted to suggest some rebalances in abilities are to promote strategic diversity and to prevent the extreme price spikes in pokemons. And, one of the worst things in this game is to catch a pokemon, see it having an useless ability, using an ability reset and getting another useless one. My point here is to make each ability shine in their own way without making it a total win or total lose condition. Of course I'm not suggesting every ability to be equal in power, as it will be seen in the rest of the post.

Sand rush
- Increased movement speed by 25% during sandstorm.

My Suggestion: Make it 50%.

Reasoning: During the 15 second period of a sandstorm, %25 speed boost usually isn't substantial enough to make a difference. Also, many pokemon with this ability doesn't innately learn Sandstorm, which makes this ability useless unless you use a TM (Not affordable by many players, or not worth buying just for the sake of ability) or use sandstorm with a pokemon and switch into a pokemon with Sand Rush.

-

Infiltrator
- Bypass Reflect and Substitute but only with 20% of the original damage.

My Suggestion: If it doesn't already (Haven't tried yet), this should bypass all kinds of protections like spiky shield, fire mantle, protection, etc

Reasoning: Works well with the theme, and there's no reason for it to not to.

-

Chlorophyll - Increased movement speed by 25% during sunnny weather.

My Suggestion: Make it 50%

Reasoning: Same as Sand Rush.

-

Sand Veil
- Prevents the damage over time caused by sandstorm. Reduces damage from sandstorm by 30%.

My Suggestion: Make it 50%

Reasoning: It's an ability depending on only one spell. I see no point in not making it stronger, as it's very situational. It could also prevent damage from sandstorm (active and passive parts) completely.

-

Blaze, Torrent, Overgrow, Swarm
- Increases respective damage by 15% if the pokemon's hp is lower than 20%.

My Suggestion: Either make it 25% when the pokemon's lower than 20% , or make it 15% when the pokemon's hp is lower than 35%.

Reasoning: In PvE situations, pokemons with these abilities are usually switched out or dead before they can make use of the ability. In PvP situations, pokemons with these abilites will probably have blown up all their elemental attacks before this ability triggers, and they won't get to use it often. For that reason, these abilites should be a little more powerful.

-

Drizzle, Drought, Sand Stream

My Suggestion: Cast the respective spells on release, and after each 3 minutes, after a spell is cast OR after the pokemon takes damage.

Reasoning: This way, they wont activate randomly when you're healing up.

-

Gluttony

My Suggestion: 50% chance to keep used berries.

Another suggestion: Pokemon occassionally finds a random berry and eats it.

-

Moxie
- After defeating a Pokemon the user will gain 5% extra damage until saved to the Pokeball. Maximum 250% extra damage.

My suggestion: Reduce the maximum extra damage to 200% or 150%.

Reasoning: I dont feel like explaining, but here we go. A lvl 70 Pinsir easily outdamages a lvl 130 cloned scizor on a spawn that's weak to bug type. (I had the Pinsir). A moxie user outdamages anything but perhaps another moxie user. It's such an OP ability, no other ability even has a close damage bonus to Moxie. The ability is worth 5k in cash alone. It allows any pokemon to farm at anywhere so easily, you can kill pokemons with your autoattacks (lol). For instance, my 101 pinsir with Moxie deals 700 damage with an autoattack, and 12k with a single spell (Pin Missile) to a Ludicolo. It's frustrating for people without moxie on spawns , and i'm pretty sure most of you have noticed everyone's trying to get a cloned pinsir nowadays. I wonder why :p This ability is like PvE only, so it makes sense for it to give a significant damage bonus, but it skews the balance in spawns and makes people salty.

-

Reckless
- Area moves will deal 5% extra damage.

My suggestion: Area moves will deal 15% more damage, but the pokemon takes 5% more damage for 10 seconds after using an area of effect move (or permanently).

Reasoning: The description doesn't match the name, also i believe there should be more strong abilities with strong downsides. This ability alone is actually good, but I felt like it could be more fitting and interesting this way.

-

Unnerve

My suggestion: Randomly disables a move from an enemy pokemon (3 minutes cooldown, happens once in duel).

Reasoning: In the console games, this made the enemy nervous and disabled the usage of berries. Now it makes them nervous, so nervous they can't use moves.

-

Will try to continue the post after I have some more time.

Raissa

Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks for your suggestion but;
50% of speed is a lot, it doesnt sound like but it is. Max boost we could agree with is 30%.

About infiltrator;
Generation V

A Pokémon with Infiltrator ignores the effects of a target's Reflect, Light Screen, Safeguard, and Mist.
Generation VI onwards

Infiltrator now allows Pokémon to bypass Substitute. It can also ignore Aurora Veil.
From all these mentioned only Substitute and Reflect works here as a "protection-like move". And we absolutely disagree of letting the user (pokemon who has the ability) have a way to bypass every possible protecting movement. It would be simply too op. Even if 20% damage is LOW, but it still is.

Tom Valis

Reaction score
About infiltrator;

From all these mentioned only Substitute and Reflect works here as a "protection-like move". And we absolutely disagree of letting the user (pokemon who has the ability) have a way to bypass every possible protecting movement. It would be simply too op. Even if 20% damage is LOW, but it still is.

Yeah, agreed with you about Infiltrator. Bypass the Reflect is not so important, not taking reflect damage is the true advantage.

Sheeper

Reaction score
100% agreed with Moxie nerf. Some of the suggestions are better or worse, but the one about moxie... agreed once more. I personally have Cloned Pinsir 130 with moxie, my TM Infestation was dealing 22k damage to ludicolos, leaving them at deep red with only this. casting cutter dance + infestation was enough to clear ~10 ludicolos (or meganiums + sceptiles)

huberto

Reaction score
100% agreed with Moxie nerf. Some of the suggestions are better or worse, but the one about moxie... agreed once more. I personally have Cloned Pinsir 130 with moxie, my TM Infestation was dealing 22k damage to ludicolos, leaving them at deep red with only this. casting cutter dance + infestation was enough to clear ~10 ludicolos (or meganiums + sceptiles)

That's nothing. I'am on cloned island right now and my pokemons 130 getting outdamaged by normal Pinsir, lvl 99 without TM's. Type advantage doesn't matter if you hit 4-5k with the worse Pinsir skill. I think Selfdestruct was removed from game for a reason, Moxie now is like Selfedestruct but can be used few times in a row and have no cost of revive and potions. Since people can't use it normaly, for leveling but they mostly use it for KS, I would like to suggest a maximum of 50% dmg that Moxie can give, and stacking up by 1% per pokemon killed.

Metin

Reaction score

I even thought about reducing it to 100% or something, but also thought it would be killing it too much. Same case goes for my Pinsir too, it has Bug Buzz, when I go to Ludicolo spawn i'm basically occupying it completely. The pinsir went from 47 to 101 with very minimal effort at ludicolos and mightyenas.

koles

Reaction score
Every dmg boost will be op for you ^.- Because that way every pokemon with this ability will have the highest dmg in game.

Metin

Reaction score
Every dmg boost will be op for you ^.- Because that way every pokemon with this ability will have the highest dmg in game.

A 130 pokemon outdamaging another 130 is not big deal. A 70 pokemon outdamaging 130 without any type differences is potentially game-breaking.

Tsotss

Reaction score
So now ability Own Tempo on Smeargle - we decide about moves but any confusion style move doesn't work on it. It propably can kill evertything, very hard to win, depends of moves ofc but every almost have prot/ref or dmg like that and scary face and brick/feint. Before adding abilities I killed it easily by Scizor. Now I can dream about it, but I don't think so it should be changed. Remember abilities were added to improving our pokemons, even is ability isn't good as Moxie or Own Tempo/Natural Care or smg like that, still improving.
About Moxie - ok maybe little decreasing but not too much. By this ability and alike good, some pokemons returned to the game what is nice.

PS. Unnerve sounds great. We don't have ability which working like it : )

Last edited:

Metin

Reaction score
So now ability Own Tempo on Smeargle - we decide about moves but any confusion style move doesn't work on it. It propably can kill evertything, very hard to win, depends of moves ofc but every almost have prot/ref or dmg like that and scary face and brick/feint. Before adding abilities I killed it easily by Scizor. Now I can dream about it, but I don't think so it should be changed. Remember abilities were added to improving our pokemons, even is ability isn't good as Moxie or Own Tempo/Natural Care or smg like that, still improving.
About Moxie - ok maybe little decreasing but not too much. By this ability and alike good, some pokemons returned to the game what is nice.

My main point in the start of the thread was to balance abilities, of course abilities should improve pokemons. I tried to change some abilities who were too obnoxious for other players (Only Moxie for the moment), or way too weak to have an actual impact. I agree with your point, also.

metaldroga

Reaction score
guys stop crying about it... moxie is the most awesome thing that PAD ever done ;)

Metin

Reaction score
guys stop crying about it... moxie is the most awesome thing that PAD ever done ;)

If you look closely, I stated I had a Moxie Pinsir, and I outdamaged everyone else. This thread is not a rant thread, but to make the state of the game a little healthier. I personally have like 3 pokemons with moxie, and i have fun using them, but that doesn't mean i should ruin other people's fun.

Raissa

Administrator
Reaction score
People who got pokemon with moxie suggesting its nerf cannot be "crying", they are just being objective.
I saw moxie the very first time before abilities implementation and didn't notice it has been so strong until today.
So yes, it is going to be nerfed.

Stapid

Reaction score
People who got pokemon with moxie suggesting its nerf cannot be "crying", they are just being objective.
I saw moxie the very first time before abilities implementation and didn't notice it has been so strong until today.
So yes, it is going to be nerfed.

If it was necessary to nerf to the ability Moxie because this was very strong (example) to pinsir when it reached 250%, but now but lowering the% to 130% seems to me an exaggeration and more because it is no longer up to 5 % In 5% if not of 2% in 2% and although if it is remarkable of difference of damage, it should be% maximum 150% and increase of 3% in 3% or 2% in 2%, so that this is later to reach its maximum, although they may take it as a very powerful skill to me it makes me a very useful skill for pokemons like Gyarados or Pinsir who are not Pokemons used by many players because they are taken as pokes "bad" and do not use either for duel or for lvl and this ability gives the possibility of being taken as good pokemons for lvl. I know that it is not that all players want to get a pokemon with moxie, that's why I recommend 150% and 3% in 3% (or 2% in 2%).

Last edited:

medz

Banned user
Reaction score
People who use the words "cry" "crying" etc should be banned

Btw Nice topic, agree with most of them but im too lazy to be specific right now, maybe some other time

Tsotss

Reaction score
I don't understand abilities like Chlorophyll. It says "Increased movement speed by 25% during sunnny weather". It's understandable. But looking on Shiftry moveset - it doesn't have Sunny Day which could give possibility to use this ability. I am know bulbapedia says Shiftry can learn it, but little has nonsense in game, couse propably is no way to use it ( maybe when others pokemons which have Sunny Day are near, Chlorohyll can be used ) - but in this case we should exp it just in party becouse who exp grass poke in grass resps.

I called to Chlorophyll ability becouse I saw it. I don't know other pokemons have similar situation with some abilities. Or maybe I got wrong what Chlorophyll means.

Last edited:

huberto

Reaction score
I don't understand abilities like Chlorophyll. It says "Increased movement speed by 25% during sunnny weather". It's understandable. But looking on Shiftry moveset - it doesn't have Sunny Day which could give possibility to use this ability. I am know bulbapedia says Shiftry can learn it, but little has nonsense in game, couse propably is no way to use it ( maybe when others pokemons which have Sunny Day are near, Chlorohyll can be used ) - but in this case we should exp it just in party becouse who exp grass poke in grass resps.

I called to Chlorophyll ability becouse I saw it. I don't know other pokemons have similar situation with some abilities. Or maybe I got wrong what Chlorophyll means.

You can cast Sanny Day with other pokemon and switch to Shiftry, buff will work this way because Sunny Day weather effect stay active for 10 second. But yes, this ability is not very effective since most of the time you stay with the pokemon in the same place, spamming spells. It may be usefull for dueling, but only if your previous pokes use Sunny Day before dying, or your enemy use it.

Jano

Administrator
Reaction score
Abilities that depends on weather effects also works with "enviroment" weather effects already existing in map, and yes we are going to add more enviroment weather areas around the map, so you don't really need the respective move to trigger your ability.

Back