What's new

Welcome!

Kabutops

Krokiecik

Reaction score
Hi, I'd like to give (my) few ideas about little rebalancing kabutops. Don't get me wrong, of course, these will be just loose thougths about making kabutops "more meta" (I don't want to force any changes, I just want to make you think about it a little bit, and decide what is best in your opinion).

Firstly, take a look at its skillset:

Mega drain - passive
1. Slash
2. Bubblebeam
3. Surf
4. Night Slash
5. Ancient Power
6. Smack Down
7. Aqua Power
8. Water Pledge
9. Stealth Rock
10. Rock Storm.

The most important here is stun (n. 8) and three aoe's (n 7,9,10). Moreover, a little healing (passive) + not that bad smack down make it quite a nice skillset (especially stun + 3aoe is a quite popular among many other pokemons). What I'd like to discuss is the possibility to better "defend" itself. By biology, it's a fossil pokemon, the first type rock, the second - water. In games, by leveling it can learn both harden and protect skills (and in fact, can't learn mega drain spell (but can learn absorb by leveling and giga drain as TM)). It is quite logical that such pokemon should have some skills strengthening its defences (Futhermore, its types rock/water makes it quite useful only on fire type pokemons to be honest, and fire spawn 140+ has a lot of fire/fight type pokemons making kabutops in fact only usable on 200+ fire spawn)

Why I think some change is needed? Both aqua power and stealth rock are quite long in the process. Similarly, water pledge takes quite a bit time to stun properly (during this time kabutops is very vulnerable to stuns/damage). Only fast aoe spell is rock storm. All of this makes it very hard to use "proper power" of Kabutops on spawns.

I have in mind a few different ideas, it would be great if you could take a look at it.

First idea: Add reflect to possible TM's and lower base hitpoints of kabutops (don't change skillset then, or maybe make it a little worse by changing mega drain to absorb)

Indeed, many pokemons with one stun + 3 aoe have reflect as TM, which helps them defend themself (and in fact be able to at least use some of those aoe spells on harder spawns). The stun itself isn't that bad (or maybe 2 stuns if you add one as TM), but can't affect the whole spawn, making our pokemon still vulnerable to many attacks (and for example even being very resistant to fire, if being hit by 7 attacks at once, it still can deal a lot of damage). Reflect is quite expensive as TM, so it would anyway require a little dedication (and cash) to make kabutops quite nice (especially when there is an option of (for example) cloned blaistoise, which already is very good with a possibility to add Reflect as TM)), so this change won't probably change the "position" of kabutops as rock/water poke, but it would possibly encourage more players to use it.

Second idea: Instead of stun (Water Pledge) add Protection spell and lower base hitpoints of kabutops (as for the rest, leave it as there is right now or, again, change mega drain to absorb)

After this change, it would still have 4 rock moves and 3 water (which isn't that bad having in mind it's a rock/water type pokemon). It would make it more similar to its "counterpart" - Omastar (which has protection and 3 aoe spells) and for example another (rock) fossil pokemon - Rampardos (again, protection and some aoe spells).

Third idea: Instead of aqua power (one aoe) add Substitute spell and lower base hitpoints of kabutops (as for the rest, similar as in the second idea).

This change would make it more similar to carracosta (water/rock type fossil pokemon). As you can see it would have substitute + stun, but substitute does not defend from stuns, so Kabutops would still be vulnerable to many stuns/damage, but at least it would give kabutops quite a nice amount of hp (and time) to withstand hits.

Fourth idea: Add the second passive - harden

This one probably wouldn't change anything as for the "meta" gaming, but at least would add the good feeling that a (partially rock) fossil pokemon has some skills strengthening defences.

Thank you very much for your attention,
Presage

Back